A common abbreviation of Union Public Service Commission, UPSC is one of the most designated agencies that hire Class One or Group A officers. This agency looks after the examination and the hiring process of recruiters that fall under the category of Class One officers. For instance, the departments such as union government functionality services, union government health services, union government architecture services, etc. come under this central agency. These departments appoint some officials who help the government with finance, health services, appointment, transfer and promotions. UPSC isn’t an easy exam to crack, and thus requires intense hardwork and determination. So, let’s have a look at the best books for preparation of UPSC.
UPSC In A Nutshell
- UPSC is the central leading bureau that appoints Group A officers through exams and recruiting processes.
- The exams being conducted under its name is Civil Services Examination, abbreviated as CSE.
- Commonly known as the UPSC exam, this examination is conducted in three main parts- Paper I, Paper II and one main exam.
- Paper I and Paper II are categorized under General Studies Paper. Moreover, they are also called the Civil Service Aptitude Test or CSAT.
- The third part of the UPSC exam is one main exam, which has nine papers to appear.
- In this, one has to attempt questions in long form answer text.
- After that, there is an interview, which one has to clear in order pass the exam with flying colours.
- The papers are conducted only in English or Hindi language. There is no third option.
- The suitableness for appearing for UPSC exam is that one must be a graduate and a citizen of India.
The Best Books For Preparation Of UPSC
The mindfulness for UPSC has never been a bed of roses, and it requires profound knowledge, willpower and endurance. And to prepare for any exam, books are its prime asset. Hence, here is a list of a few best books for preparation for UPSC.
Who doesn’t know the importance of NCERT books for any exam ? They are not only the storehouse of knowledge, but also possess enough material for UPSC preparation. This book focuses on the latest edition of NCERT syllabus from class VIth to XIIth. Furthermore, it covers all possible segments of History, Art and Culture, Science, Politics, Environment, Geography, Indian Economy and Technology. Also, it’s easy language, structure form of presentation makes it a must-buy book for UPSC preparation.
The Hindi version of this book is available in the name of NCERT Sar Sankalan. Without any doubt, it is one othe best books for preparatrion of UPSC.
All About UPSC Civil Services Exam
An excellent book with great tips and tricks, it can be counted among the best books for preparation of UPSC. The book has everything that you need for your exam, in a detailed manner. Moreover, it also explains some great ways to enhance the preparation levels while spreading positivity during the tough times. Additionally, it gives a comprehensive structure of Prelims, Mains and the entire process of Interview. Thus, this book is worth giving a try and is capable of spending your precious time and money on it.
27 Years UPSC
Undoubtedly, this is one of the best books for preparation of UPSC in the Indian market. The edition of this book is especially designed in such a manner that it covers the entire syllabus of UPSC Prelims Paper II. Furthermore, it consists of 27 years of questions with the proper answer key, which is the gateway of proper preparation. This book promotes better practice for UPSC through its detailed practice papers. Also, the questions are classified based on chapters, years and marks.
Study Material For Civil Services
Comes with a pack of 9 books, this study material has everything that one requires in their closet of best books for preparation of UPSC. In addition to that, it is the storehouse of knowledge for those who are preparing for IAS Prelims General Studies Paper I. the nine books are as follows:
- History Compendium
- Indian Polity & Governance Compendium
- Geography Compendium
- Economy Compendium
- General Science Compendium
- Ecology & Environment Compendium
- GK Compendium
- Super 10 Mock tests for CSAR Paper I
- 1000 most probable MCQs
This book has almost everything that you want while preparing for your exam.
UPSC New Syllabus
UPSC New Syllabus and Tips to Crack IAS Preliminary and Mains Exam is the updated version that comes with the updated syllabus of UPSC, which is one of the best books for preparation of UPSC. As the name suggests, it has some amazing and mind blowing tips and tricks that are required while appearing for the examination. Furthermore, there is a section of Rapid GK in this book that would definitely be a helping hand for your aptitude tests. Also, the Rapid GK is the ebook for this book. It can be a great choice for UPSC preparation for the students who are starting the UPSC preparation from scratch.
Indian Polity by M Laxmikanth is suitable not only for civil service exams, but also can be used for other state examinations. Also, this is the 6th edition of this book, which shows that it gets updated according to the latest trends in syllabus and examination pattern. Being one of the highly purchased books for UPSC Preparation, it has remained in the list of bestsellers in the current decade. It consists of a variety of topics, broadly divided in 80 chapters and 16 appendices. This in turn covers everything related to Indian Polity and our Constitution.
CONSTITUTION OF INDIA
Who doesn’t know the importance of the constitution while preparing for the civil services exam ? The Constitution of India has been one of the best books for preparation of UPSC. The speciality of the book is that every part, every article, every schedule, every amendment, and every law and order is clearly mentioned in it. This feature actually makes the readers feel like they are going through the actual constitution rather than reading a book.
These are best resources for aspirants preparing
- Indian Economy by Ramesh Singh
- History of Modern India by Bipin Chandra
- Certificate Physical and Human Geography by Goh Cheng Leong
- India’s Struggle for Independence by Bipan Chandra
- Indian Art and Culture by Nitin Singhania
- General Studies Paper II for Civil Services Preliminary Examination by MHE
- Oxford School Atlas by Oxford University Press
- Environment for Civil Services Prelims and Mains by D. R. Khullar
- Ethics, Integrity, and Aptitude by M. Karthikeyan.
These books are considered to be some of the best resources for aspirants preparing for the UPSC examination, and they cover various subjects that are essential for the exam. However, it is important to note that these books should be supplemented with regular newspapers, magazines, and online sources to stay up-to-date with the latest developments in different fields.
The Bottom Line
There is no doubt that the above mentioned books are some of the best when it comes to UPSC preparation. But it is equally important that you devote the required amount of time and effort so that it will show positive results on your exam results and on your overall career.